EdgeStar offers a wide range of appliances including refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers…etc.
It’s one of the few brands that specializes in both industrial and residential laborsaving machines. However, it hasn’t been so easy for them to establish a firm reputation in the industry of ice makers.
Indeed, the ice maker realm is highly competitive which is why it took this brand so long before they come out with the title holder: the EdgeStar IB120SS Built in Ice Maker.
Accordingly, this machine is not a typical residential ice maker because it doesn’t look like one. In fact, the brand decided to adopt the industrial look and design for this residential ice maker in order to attain maximum ice efficiency within the comfort of your home. So, how good is this ice maker and is it the perfect match for your home? Let’s find out.
>>Check Out on Amazon<<
- This ice maker features an attractive design
- It has a removable ice reservoir which holds up to 6 lbs
- It can store up to 6 pounds of ice
- It has a straightforward on/off switch to begin making ice
- Once the ice bin is full, the unit will shut off automatically
- Because this unit is also a functioning freezer, your ice will not melt and no drain installation will be required
- Because this ice maker's door is reversible, you get to choose a left or right door swing depending on your installation needs
|Dimensions||25 1/4" H x 15" W x 18 1/2" D|
|Ice Storage Capacity||6 lbs|
|Weight Empty||54 lbs|
|Colors||Stainless Steel & Black|
|Voltage / Amperage||115 V / 3.7|
|Ice Making Rate||12 lbs / 24 h|
Measurements & Weight
First things first, before we even consider the degree of efficiency of this machine, we ought to take a look at its dimensions because that usually ends up being the defining factor.
In fact, knowing the exact size of this ice maker will be crucial as it will determine whether it will fit on your kitchen counter, under the kitchen drawers or perhaps nowhere. Accordingly, the EdgeStar at hand comes at around 25 inches in height, 15 inches in width and 18 inches in depth.
When it comes to weight, this ice maker comes 54 pounds straight out of the box which isn’t exactly portable. So, if you count on moving your ice maker too often then you’re better off with a smaller, portable ice maker.
In terms of build quality, we concluded on a flat verdict for the EdgeStar IB120SS Built in Ice Maker since it harbors both industrial as well as weaker build materials.
Not to completely disregard its meticulous build, this ice maker is simply not designed for an industrial or commercial day to day labor. In that respect, the manufacturer urges you to clean up the pipes of the compressor manually once every 6 months.
On the other hand, the outer shell of the EdgeStar IB120SS is actually decent. In fact, the machine comes with a shiny stainless steel facade that is easy to clean while the rest of the body is coated in black metal. Consequently, this ice maker is tough enough to endure a regular environment for life which is why it should stay away from water and should be given some space around it to breathe properly.
As far as the interior is concerned, the EdgeStar at hand doesn’t differ much from your fridge as it exhibits a simple layout with plastic components.
Ice Making Ability
When it comes to making ice, we believe that the machine at hand exceeds all expectations. Indeed, for a residential ice maker in this category, it is rather decent to produce 12 pounds of ice a day. Indeed, while smaller machines are capable of making double the amount, this little fridge is capable of making the same amount with far less energy consumption.
Accordingly, while this ice maker is slower, it is highly efficient. Indeed, the EdgeStar at hand can still make up to 1 pound of ice in under two hours, which should be enough for regular use. Thus, you don’t have to worry about making too much ice that will eventually go to waste or end up recycled.
Further, while it has been established that this machine is not for high demand, it is still capable of withholding up to 6 pounds of ice independently. Thus, you can easily set it up a night ahead of time and depend on it to fulfil your need for ice for an entire day.
Features are always a push for any product which is something this ice maker needs at the moment. Indeed, the EdgeStar at hand comes with a bunch of specs that will facilitate use and make your experience far less annoying.
- First, the ice maker at hand comes with a decent sized ice bucket. Compared to smaller machines, this ice maker can hold up to 6 pounds of ice in perfect condition within an internal basket that will fill up in less than 12 hours.
- Moreover, this little ice maker features an easy operating system that has a direct on / off switch to launch the ice making process. Most importantly, in order to prevent excess, the machine is programmed to shut down the process once the ice bucket is full. Not to mention that this ice maker functions as a freezer to prevent the ice from melting no matter how long it is left in there.
- Despite the industrial look, this ice maker is actually easy to install. Indeed, all you have to do in order to get the machine up and running is to install the direct water line in any way you wish and plug it right in. PS: it is advisable to let the ice maker rest at least one hour before turning it on.
- Unlike most ice makers on the market, this one actually comes with a front venting cooler which will enable the machine to breathe comfortably no matter where you put it. Indeed, you don’t have to worry about crowded spaces because this ice maker will work fine everywhere.
We believe that it is important to understand your purpose before you make the purchase on any product and especially ice makers. Indeed, for some, the EdgeStar IB120SS Built in Ice Maker is going to be a great added value because it is efficient, dependable and operates 24/7. Whereas, others might find it frustrating to wait for ice all that time. The call is yours.
- This ice makers features a modern design
- Its black body and stainless steel door will fit any modern kitchen or home bar.
- Because this unit is also a functioning freezer, your ice will not melt
- The unit does not require the installation of a drain line
- It’s easy to use
- It’ll automatically stop running when the ice tray is full
- It’s fairly quiet
- It meets ADA height requirements
- Despite its size, this ice maker is not intended for commercial use (It’s perfect for a group of 3 to 5 people).
- It’s quite slow at making ice (24 lbs per day)
- It does not self defrost