hOmeLabs is crowned the leading manufacturer in the realm of cool stuff as it excels on many fronts. Indeed, this brand has successfully engineered reliable dehumidifiers, refrigerators and even air conditioners before they decided that it was time to create an actual ice maker.
Accordingly, this ice maker is the cherry on top of the cake through which hOmeLabs is trying to provide you with a practical and cheaper alternative to regularly buying ice or, even worse, drinking warm beverages.
Indeed, this machine has quite some ambition and that’s why we decided to put it to the test. So, here’s a detailed review and analysis on what you should know about the hOmeLabs ice maker.
>>Check Out on Amazon<<
- This is one of the most compact portable ice makers out there
- Despite its tiny size, this ice maker can produce up to 26 lbs of ice per day with its 2.2-liter water reservoir
- It can store up to 1.5 pounds of ice
- It can produce small or medium sized bullet-shaped ice cubes in around 6-8 minutes
- The hOmeLabs portable ice maker runs quite
- It comes with small BPA free plastic ice scoop and removable ice basket
- It's designed to automatically shuts off when the ice basket is full
|Dimensions||9.5" x 12.9" x 14"|
|Ice Storage Capacity||1.5 lbs|
|Weight Empty||~20 lbs|
|Volts / Wattage||115 Volts / 220 Watts|
|Operating Cycle||6 - 8 minutes|
|Ice Making Capacity Per Cycle||9 pieces|
|Ice Cube Size||Small & medium|
|Ice Making Rate||26 lbs of ice per day|
|Reservoir Capacity||2.2 Liters|
Measurements & Weight
Size is often a big deal and that is especially the case for those of us who live in compact studio apartments, RVs, houses on wheels…etc. Hence, knowing that everything needs to be accounted for, hOmeLabs decided to go humble on this ice maker, pushing it out at 9.5 x 12.9 x 14 inches.
Accordingly, this machine fits the label of a compact ice maker, making it appropriate for any kitchen counter and especially for RVs.
Once you put a lock on size, weight often comes with less significance. However, we believe that it is still important for you to know that this machine is not exactly light.
Indeed, the hOmeLabs ice maker stands at an eyebrow raising 20 pounds straight out of the box. So, you shouldn’t worry about moving this machine from one place to another as it’s relatively lightweight. It’s actually one of the lightest amongst its competitors.
Quality is obviously a big deal for a number of reasons and that should push most manufacturers towards a sturdier approach. Hence, while the hOmeLabs isn’t necessarily made out of the toughest material, it is still significantly firm.
Accordingly, once you lift this machine, you will be able to feel how well made it is and the fact that it makes no undesired noises while it’s producing ice is also helpful.
Going back to the build material, hOmeLabs is not necessarily the weakest ice maker out there but it is still made out of ABS plastic. Now, this type of plastic is known for its high-durability but it’s still plastic which is why it is important to make sure not to drop the machine; at least not from a significant height.
The overall body of this ice maker is nicely finished and that is perfected on the lid as well where you can see just how much dedication was invested into this build to make it look as flawless as it does.
Nonetheless, try not to open the lid too quickly as you might end up pushing it all the way through and it is definitely not designed to reach that extent.
Ice Making Ability
When it comes to ice making, hOmeLabs is hands down a beast as it exhibits some impressive qualities especially when considering its size. Indeed, this tiny machine is actually capable of producing up to 26 pounds of ice within 24 hours, which is enough to fill up an entire cooler.
Thus, if you’re planning a party then it would come in extremely handy to pump out the necessary ice a day in advance and keep all your beverages frosty and ready.
When it comes to regular use, the hOmeLabs portable ice maker is capable of producing enough ice to fill the entire basket in about one hour. However, if you’re in a hurry and you just need to make sure that your favorite drink remains cool, you can get your hand on the first batch of ice cubes within 6 to 8 minutes.
Thus, as long as you keep the 2.2 liters reservoir full, this little ice machine will keep pumping small / large ice cubes continuously until you tell it to stop or until the basket is full. But hey, you don’t have to exclusively make water ice cubes, the hOmeLabs will turn any liquid you pour into it to tasty cold ice and that’s awesome.
Any ice maker relies on its features to bring out the best of it and this one is no exception to the rule. Indeed, the hOmeLabs portable ice maker comes in with a bunch of little features that will make it easier for you to operate this machine.
- First, the one thing that catches your eye directly when looking at this ice maker is the little window on the top. This feature will enable you to keep an eye on your ice creation process and allow you to make sure that your ice has reached the level you desired. Thus, you don’t have to keep producing more ice than you need and then letting it melt down to be recycled.
- The fact that the ice basket is removable is definitely one of the best features you can have on an ice maker. Undeniably, using the little scoop for one cup is nice but sometimes you need the entire basket emptied into a cooler and that’s why you can simply pick it up and take it wherever you need.
- Moreover, this ice maker actually comes with tiny rubber feet which might not seem like a big deal but it definitely is. Indeed, these little feet will help keep the machine still and glued to one spot which is even more practical for RV owners who do not have a dedicated casing for an ice maker.
- Finally, the machine at hand comes with a set of two easy click buttons to turn it on/off & choose the size of ice cubes you want. Also, beside the small & large, the hOmeLabs comes with a set of indicator lights to let you know when the ice basket is full, when the water reservoir is empty and when the machine is plugged into electricity & ready to produce ice cubes.
To wrap it up, if you’re on a budget and looking for reasonably priced ice maker that can create loads of ice within a limited time then you cannot do better than this hOmeLabs portable counter top ice maker, especially not in this price range.
Nonetheless, it is still important to know that there are less powerful ice makers out there at a similar price that look and feel more premium. Hence, it’s up to you to decide how much you care about looks.
- This ice maker is very well-built. It’s a great value for the money
- It’s one of the most compact portable ice makers in the market
- It’s easy to use
- It produces small or medium sized bullet-shaped ice cubes pretty quickly (about 6 to 8 minutes)
- It is fairly quiet. However, expect some noise when it’s dumping ice into the catch tray at the end of each batch
- Its water reservoir is of great size, so you don’t have to refill very often.
- It’ll automatically stop running when the ice tray is full
- It’s ready to use straight out of the box.
- This ice maker is not intended for commercial use.
- It only makes 9 ice cubes at a time.
- It is not meant to keep your ice cold. The ice will slowly melt back into the water storage bin
- It has no notification sound to signal when the ice tray is full.